The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission (TWRC) is poised to start requiring permits for canoe and kayak livery operations (businesses renting paddlecraft) outside the boundaries of federal lands. We have indications that other states are considering similar legislation.
Rules proposed by TWRC will:
- regulate all aspects of commercial paddlecraft rentals (canoes, kayaks, SUP's, rafts and tubes) to non commercial customers on state and private waters except for those in State Parks and those in or adjacent to National Forests and National Parks;
- require fees for permits and for each vessel launched;
- require each craft to include a number as well as the company name;
- maintain records of the name of the individual renting each vessel and the date of the trip;
- prohibit youth under the age of 16 from being in a craft without an adult